Farmgirl Forums

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Baking Soda For Washing Fruits and Vegetables

I've started doing this for a year now, and I would like to share it with you if you haven't done it. I don't use detergents or soap in washing fruits or vegetables. I soak them in a large bowl of water with a teaspoon of baking soda for about 20 minutes. This will remove pesticides or other chemicals that cling to the fruits or vegetables during plantation or processing.

I heard about, but I was pessimistic about it because baking soda is a chemical in my own eyes. After researching more about what you shared, I understand more clearly that it removes the dangerous chemicals while maintaining the freshness and the natural flavor of the fruits and vegetables.

Wow, we definitely learn something new each passing day and now this is on my to-do list. We mostly buy organic fruits and vegetables but when that is not the case, it is important to thoroughly wash the fruits and vegetables. A salt water solution is popular with many people.

I haven't heard about this, but it's an interesting idea worth checking out. I don't use soap on my fruits and vegetables, either. I'll have to try this soak sometime soon and see how it does!

A salt solution is a good alternative if you are doubtful with baking soda. However, there are chemicals that can't be removed by salt. Baking soda, on the other hand, is a base which neutralizes any acid that is attached to the fruit or vegetable.

Forum Help

Trouble posting/replying? Have a suggestion, or something just isn’t right after the last upgrade?

Use the form below to tell us about it:

United Farmgirls Magazine (Subscribe Now!)

Oh, we are all about…