Farmgirl Forums

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Battling Weeds

I love gardening, but every year, I have a battle with weeds. My parents always used black plastic to try to block the weeds, but weeds still got through. I've read that putting newspaper down can block weeds. Have any of you tried this trick? What do you do to help combat weed growth?

I add a thick layer of compost to my garden plots and immediately pull the weeds I see before they can set strong roots.  They're easier to deal with if you snag them early.  I've tried the newspaper method like your folks, but it seemed to attract moles and voles.  Maybe I just had bad luck though.

Quote from Elizabeth on May 14, 2019, 6:01 pm

I've tried the newspaper method like your folks, but it seemed to attract moles and voles.  Maybe I just had bad luck though.

I use a thick layer of newspaper and cardboard to block weeds and I haven't had any problems with moles and voles that know of.  I'm not one to battle pests and weeds though.  I throw down my cardboard and newspaper and whatever happens, happens.  It's possible the beasts were there and I just never noticed, but they sure didn't damage any of my plants.  I use cardboard as a way to recycle all the boxes we get from Amazon.  It helps deter weeds and it keeps moisture from evaporating in the boiling hot Southern sun.

@Collette I don't think a few weeds are a big deal.  Weeds that bloom attract pollinators like crazy.  I wouldn't let the weeds get out of control to where they were overtaking my vegetables, but whatever makes it through the barrier you lay down should be fine.   If you really want no weeds your best bet is to plant in containers.

Oh, we are all about…

• Cheer Up KitCheer Up Kit
    by Dee Dee Know somebody who is feeling a little …