Farmgirl Forums

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Natural Disasters

What are some of the steps you take to prepare for natural disasters; especially hurricanes? Could you share a list of necessary things that you always have ready for example?

I am not very knowledgeable about hurricanes, but I know I always keep a small emergency bag in case of an earthquake. Some of the things I put in there are:

- A blanket.
- Water.
- Socks.
- Underwear.
- Deodorant.
- Money.
- A first aid kit.
- Some snacks or candy bars.

Thank you, Sabrina. That is a very helpful list. I keep reading so many different things on the internet that sometimes it's quite confusing. Your list seems to have it all.

Chloe,

I have similar bags packed for our family - everyone has a bag of their own. We also keep a case of bottled water, canned goods, a can opener, and a supply of common OTC medications we might need. If you take prescription medication, I'd advise setting aside a few days' worth in your emergency kit, too.

This begs the question - how do we deal with our livestock if an evacuation is in order?

You bring up a good point @petunia, and I have never thought about what happens to livestock during a disaster. In my view, regularly reviewing and updating your disaster plan can help. An evacuation plan may also be in necessary in some instances.

Forum Help

Trouble posting/replying? Have a suggestion, or something just isn’t right after the last upgrade?

Use the form below to tell us about it:

Oh, we are all about…