Farmgirl Forums

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Preserving Apples, Pumpkins, and Squash

Apples, pumpkins, and squash are in season now. I really like buying fruits and vegetables in bulk when they are in season to save money. But how do you preserve apples, pumpkins, and squash? Should I just put them into the freezer? I have a large freezer in my basement I use to store extra meat.

I've never considered buying produce on sale and then putting it up for later.  About how much do you save that way?  I preserve food from my garden; maybe I should branch out a bit by picking up things at the store that I don't grow.

My family loves apples.  Dehydrated apples are so tasty and they're super nutritious.  If you don't have a dehydrator on hand, you can just use your oven.  Apples can be frozen, but I don't like the texture afterwards.  It might be best to use them for baking if you're going to take that route.   Apples are also easy to can.   There's lots you can do with them to keep them fresh longer.

I don't have any experience preserving pumpkins or squash.  We eat so much squash while it's in its growing season that we need a break from it through the winter.  We have a pumpkin patch on our homestead, but none of us like to eat it, so I make sure everything gets sold or given away.

Forum Help

Trouble posting/replying? Have a suggestion, or something just isn’t right after the last upgrade?

Use the form below to tell us about it:

Oh, we are all about…