Farmgirl Forums

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Preserving Fruits and Vegetables?

When I was growing up, my grandma always used to can fruits and vegetables in the summer. She had jars and jars of fruits and vegetables in her basement she could use all winter long.

I always have extra fruits and vegetables from my garden. Is canning difficult? What's the safest way to preserve fruits and vegetables these days so that I can use our produce in the winter?

Canning is a good way to preserve extra fruits and vegetables. Maybe you can make some pickles out of those vegetables. Did your grandma teach you how to can food?

Quote from Myra What's the safest way to preserve fruits and vegetables these days. . .

It isn't particularly difficult to preserve food, but it is expensive in the beginning because you'll need to buy supplies.  You can use the majority of the supplies for years though, so consider it an investment.  The safest way to preserve food items truly depends on what it is.  For instance, fresh bell peppers are probably safest when they're frozen.  You can safely can salsa, which has bell peppers in it, but you must add quite a bit of vinegar to the mix to balance out the acidity.