Farmgirl Forums

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

What can I plant?

I need to plant something that can handle the hot boiling sun, lots of foot traffic, and periods of drought.  Any suggestions?  It doesn't matter if it's some type of grass or some form of groundcover, just anything will do that can survive the other conditions.  I've not found anything so far.  Right now I have a large strip of bare dirt which is terrible for erosion.

I don't know the exact scientific names, but the common names are wild strawberry, white clover, and ivy.  Lots of plants will grow in that area, but you wouldn't be able to walk on them.  Thyme and verbena are two suggestions I was thinking about.  Some people use them as groundcovers, but I don't think they'd hold up to lots of foot traffic and both die back in the winter (though the roots should still help with erosion.)

Quote from Elizabeth on May 14, 2019, 5:45 pm

I don't know the exact scientific names, but the common names are wild strawberry, white clover, and ivy.

I don't really have a problem with weeds and I don't fight them, but I can't bring myself to plant more of them either.  I do keep a weed patch for the bees and other pollinators that grows pretty wild though.  Since clover serves a purpose as a nitrogen fixer I might just let it spread to my bare patch and call it a day.

Oh, we are all about…