If you live in a rural area it can be an ordeal trekking to town just to buy personal care items. Even then, the stuff ain’t cheap! But who needs drugstore beauty products when you can make something healthier, cheaper, and more effective at home?
These are my two all-time favorite recipes for homemade chapstick and pomade. Best of all, they use almost identical ingredients. If you’re whipping up some chapstick, you might as well keep that double boiler out for some pomade too.
DIY Chapstick Recipe
I am a chapstick fiend. I have at least two tubes in my office, purse, and bathroom. Keep your lips hydrated with this simple recipe.
- Equal parts beeswax, coconut oil, and shea butter
- Peppermint essential oil
- Chapstick tubes or lip balm jars (you can buy these in bulk on Amazon)
- Double boiler
- Set up your double boiler. Once it’s up to temperature, stir in your beeswax. Melt the beeswax completely.
- Next, stir in your shea butter. Allow it to melt completely.
- Last, stir in the coconut oil and allow to melt completely.
- Give the mixture a good stir and remove it from heat. Sprinkle your peppermint essential oil into the mixture until it reaches your desired scent, about 10 – 20 drops.
- Pour your chapstick mix into the tubes or jars. You may need a small funnel to make this easier. Remember to under-fill slightly. You don’t want spills!
- Allow it to cool upright overnight.
DIY Pomade Recipe
My husband uses this pomade every morning. It’s the only thing that will tame his super curly hair. It’s also perfect for smoothing flyaway hairs and for updos.
- Equal parts beeswax and coconut oil
- Your desired essential oil
- Double boiler
- Melt the beeswax in your double boiler.
- Next, incorporate the coconut oil. Allow it to melt completely.
- Take the mixture off heat. Stir in your preferred essential oils. My husband likes tea tree and patchouli, while I prefer grapefruit.
- Pour your pomade mix into a Mason jar. Let it set up overnight and store with an airtight lid.