Dry winter skin got you down? Before you pick up that jar of store-bought lotion, consider a natural, homemade alternative. Beat the cold weather blues with these DIY recipes for lip scrub, lavender body butter, and an oatmeal bath.
I use this lip scrub at least three times a week in the winter. Not only does it prevent chapped lips, but it makes your lips feel baby-smooth.
This recipe is for a small batch, but you can scale up to make more if needed.
● 1 tablespoon sugar
● 2 teaspoons coconut oil
● 2 drops peppermint essential oil
1. Give the sugar a good pulse in the food processor. The finer the sugar, the more effective the lip scrub!
2. Add in the 2 teaspoons of coconut oil and 2 drops peppermint oil.
3. Pulse until the mixture is fully combined.
4. Store in a sealed jar. Lip scrub will last up to six months.
Lavender body butter
Who needs pricey lotions when you can make a luxurious body butter at home? I use this lavender body butter to hydrate my skin during the toughest of winters.
● 1 cup coconut oil
● 10 – 15 drops lavender essential oil
1. Combine the lavender and coconut oil in your food processor, blender, or stand mixer.
2. Whip the mixture at high speed for 5 minutes until it’s light and fluffy. Let it go longer if it’s still not whipped.
3. Store in a Mason jar with lid or up to six months.
Got itchy winter skin? You aren’t alone. I love a good bath to soothe skin from the chilly weather. A good oatmeal bath always does the trick.
● 4 tablespoons whole or steel-cut oatmeal
● 1 cup Epsom salt
● 10 drops lavender essential oil
1. Pulse the 4 tablespoons of oatmeal in a food processor until it’s a fine powder.
2. Combine the oatmeal with 1 cup Epsom salt in a large Mason jar.
3. Add the lavender essential oil.
4. Shake furiously in the jar to combine.
5. To use, add four tablespoons of this mix to your bath.